Liverpool CCG Logo

Coronavirus information


Below is some advice about what you can do to protect yourself from coronavirus and to support your community to stay well.

The latest official government guidance on coronavirus can be found at:


Coronavirus symptoms

What are the main symptoms of coronavirus?

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

What should I do if I show symptoms?

  • book a home or drive-through test as soon as possible by going to or calling 119
  • self-isolate (stay at home) as soon as you start showing symptoms or test positive (for as long as advised)

Further guidance about what to do if you have symptoms is available on the government website.

Advice on self-isolation can be found on the NHS website.

What should I do if my symptoms get worse?

Contact the NHS 111 coronavirus service if:

  • you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
  • you feel breathless and it's getting worse
  • your symptoms get worse and you're not sure what to do

Go to or call 111 if you cannot get help online. BSL users can use the NHS 111 video interpreter service by going to

More advice on what to do if your symptoms worsen can be found on the NHS website.


People at high risk from coronavirus

Coronavirus (COVID-19) can make anyone seriously ill. But for some people, the risk is higher.

You can read more about the two levels of higher risk – clinically vulnerable and clinically extremely vulnerable – on

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable, you should have previously received a letter from the NHS or your GP telling you this. 

You can read the latest government guidance for clinical extremely vulnerable people here.

Further advice for clinically extremely vulnerable people can also be found on the Liverpool City Council website here.



Preventing the spread of coronavirus

It’s important to do what you can to reduce the risk of you and other people getting coronavirus. You can spread the virus even if you do not have symptoms.

To avoid the spread of coronavirus you must:

  • Stay at least 2 metres away (or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions) from anyone you do not live with or anyone not in your support bubble. A support bubble is 1 other household you’re allowed to meet with if you live alone or are a single parent.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water often, especially as soon as you get home, for at least 20 seconds, or use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
  • Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, put used tissues in the bin immediately, and wash your hands afterwards.

Do I need to wear a face covering?

If you can, you should wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people. There are some places where you must wear a face covering, such as:

  • on public transport
  • in shops and supermarkets 
  • when you attend a medical appointment

However, you do not need to wear a face covering if you have a good reason not to. 

A full list of people who are exempt from wearing face coverings is available on the government website.


COVID-19 vaccinations

The NHS has started vaccinating people against covid-19, started with those  who are most vulnerable first.

The order in which people are prioritised for vaccination is based on national guidelines from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).

You can find more information about how Covid-19 vaccinations are being rolled out in Liverpool on the latest news section of our website and also find answers to Frequently Asked Questions here. 

You can also visit for further information.


NHS COVID-19 app 

The NHS COVID-19 app is part of a large scale coronavirus (COVID-19) testing and contact tracing programme called NHS Test and Trace.

The app is used to help notify users if they have come into contact with someone who tests positive for coronavirus. The app also allows people to report symptoms, order a coronavirus test, check into venues by scanning a QR code, and it helps the NHS trace individuals that have coronavirus.

Using the app also helps the NHS understand if the virus is spreading in a particular area, so that local authorities can respond quickly to prevent it spreading further and save lives.

Click here to download the NHS COVID-19 app for Android and iOS now.


Getting other medical help 

If you need medical help for another reason not related to coronavirus, the NHS is still here to help you get the care you need, although services may be operating differently.

Visit our page on accessing NHS services during COVID-19 to learn how you can get help.

Find further advice about getting medical help at home on the NHS website.


Other languages and formats

Doctors of the World and the British Red Cross are working to translate NHS guidance on COVID-19 into a wider range of other languages here.

Deaf health charity Sign Health are also producing BSL videos based on national coronavirus guidance here.