Liverpool CCG Logo

Liverpool doctors explain local vaccine roll-out

07 Jan 2021

As groups of GP practices in Liverpool continue the roll-out of Covid-19 (coronavirus) vaccinations for priority groups, the local NHS is sharing further details of the how the process will work for the city’s residents.

People don’t need to contact their GP practice or any other NHS organisation to ask for a vaccination – or to request one for a family member – they will be invited when it is time to be vaccinated, either with a letter or a phone call.

Liverpool’s GP practices are working together to vaccinate patients, so people might not be contacted by their usual practice, and might need to go to a different location for the vaccination itself – they will be told where to attend when they are invited in.

When people have had their vaccination they will be told when they will need to go back for a second dose. The latest evidence suggests the first dose of the vaccine provides significant levels of protection, so the advice about when the second dose is needed has changed to say it needs to be done within 12 weeks. This will also help make sure as many people can have the vaccine as possible. However, anyone who already has an appointment to get a second dose should still attend, unless they are told not to.

Not all areas of Liverpool have started vaccinating yet as this is happening in phases, so people shouldn’t be worried if they – or a family member – are aged over 80 but haven’t heard anything so far. Because the number of people in each age group will vary between areas, in some parts of Liverpool it might take more time to reach everyone than in others.

GPs and other practice staff are working to vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible, and during January many more people over 80 will be invited in, but it is only the start of the vaccination programme and it will take time to get to everyone.

Dr Fiona Lemmens, a local GP and Chair of NHS Liverpool Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) said:

“We know that this is a really worrying time, and it’s completely understandable that people want to get their Covid-19 vaccination quickly.

“The NHS is prioritising vaccinating those people who experts have agreed will benefit from it the most. At the moment, in line with national guidance, we are focussing on people aged over 80, and care home patients and staff, but as more vaccine becomes available, it will also be offered to other people at risk as soon as is possible.

“You might know others over 80 who have been invited for their vaccination already, however not all groups of GP practices could start vaccinating at the same time so not everyone has been contacted yet, but we will get to you.”

Dr Ayo Adebanjo, a GP at Valley Medical Centre in Childwall, said:

“If you are registered with a GP practice in Liverpool you will be invited for a vaccination as soon as we are ready to offer it to you – you don’t need to contact us before this, as we won’t be able to vaccinate you any sooner.

“It’s also really important to remember that even when you’ve had the vaccine you still need to follow the national lockdown rules – there is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus, even if you have the vaccine.

“This also means it is important to continue to follow social distancing guidance and if you can, wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people.”

It has also been reported that some people are receiving suspicious calls and text messages offering the Covid-19 vaccination. The public are being reminded that:

• The vaccine is only available on the NHS for free to people in priority groups, and the NHS will contact you when it is your turn.
  • The NHS will never ask you to press a button on your keypad or send a text to confirm you want the vaccine, and will never ask for payment or for your bank details.
  • At the moment we are also not making house calls to deliver or discuss the vaccine.
  • Anyone offering a paid-for vaccine is committing a fraud crime.

If people receive a call they believe to be fraudulent, they should hang up. If they believe they have been the victim of fraud or identity theft they should report this directly to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040. Where the victim is vulnerable, and particularly if they are worried that someone has or might come to their house, they should report it to the Police online or by calling 101.

The public can find further information about the Covid-19 vaccine here: www.nhs.uk/covidvaccine

36 Comment(s) for Liverpool doctors explain local vaccine roll-out

• By BB on 1/15/2021 5:58:34 PM

Thank you for eventually answering my question. If you are working through this alphabetically you have missed my Mum. We are not trying to queue jump here and are not so stupid as to think everyone will be done at the same time. We just know that NHS admin often make mistakes and it would appear that one has been made here. How do we ensure that my Mum is put on the list, please? Her GP surgery is not taking responsibility for the vaccine and has referred us to this CCG page.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/16/2021 10:46:54 PM
    The vaccination programme is still in it's very early stages. Some of the city's vaccination centres have only just opened and started inviting patients this week. Please don't panic about anyone being missed - no one who wants the vaccine will be missed - and we expect to get through many more people in the next few weeks, as vaccination capacity continues to grow.

• By Julia Knight on 1/15/2021 5:56:22 PM

My mum is 83 woolton medical pratice no contact re vaccine. Anxious as we lost my dad to covid in october. Why is there no way to check when she and others will receive vaccine ? Cant speak to gp and your advice is to just wait. These are older citizens who have a right to know when they will receive this thank you

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/16/2021 11:10:19 PM
    Hi Julia. We understand that this is a worrying time. But I'm sure you can also appreciate that the logistics of delivering a vaccination programme of this scale are huge - and it's not possible to confirm when everyone will be vaccinated by, as it depends on vaccine deliveries in the supply chain. I know it feels frustrating, but individual practice teams aren't being awkward or evasive, it's just that they can't provide this information for you with any certainty either.

• By BB on 1/15/2021 5:01:30 PM

You HAVE NOT answered my question. My question is how are you choosing which person over 80 is vaccinated next? Do you have a computerised random name generator? Do you pull names out of a hat? Does someone pick names from a huge spreadsheet? Perhaps you don’t know? We made a mistake in thinking you would be doing something logical - perhaps calling people in age or alphabetical or NHS numerological order. Without knowing how you are doing this and being surrounded by over 80s who have been vaccinated, my Mum seems to something of an outlier here.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 5:19:38 PM
    No, it isn't random or pulled out of a hat. All those aged 80 +are pulled from patient lists and worked through from A to Z, and Z to A, area by area. We understand that this means some over 80s will get their vaccines a few weeks sooner than others, but however we cut the data, not everyone can be vaccinated at the same time. Please be reassured that your mother is not an outlier, there are many over 80s still waiting for a vaccine - and we will get to them all as quickly as we possibly can.

• By BB on 1/15/2021 3:05:55 PM

You have not answered my question, I’m afraid. I asked how the over 80 age group was being prioritised because it seems at the very least to be random and potentially shambolic. Are names just being drawn out of a hat? How do I find out if my Mum’s name is in that hat? Based on what I know of individuals who have been vaccinated (in terms of age, surname, address, GP surgery) it seems as if there is no method, which is very dangerous.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 3:59:26 PM
    Please refer to your originally submitted question below. We have already responded to this query.

• By BB on 1/15/2021 2:53:34 PM

I would appreciate a response to my query submitted earlier today. Based on comments made by others I am considering taking my Mum to one of the hubs for leftover vaccine as I have no confidence that she will be called. I suspect she has been overlooked.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 4:04:06 PM
    We understand your frustration and concern, but can assure you that no one in the over 80s will be missed. Every over 80 that hasn't yet been contacted will be within the next two or three weeks. In the meantime, we would ask you to be patient and not to attend either a vaccination site or any other health centre without a pre-arranged appointment during this lockdown, because you will be turned away. It could also put you or others at unnecessary risk. Instead, please trust NHS staff to do their job, and wait for an invite.

• By Pat Perkins on 1/15/2021 2:23:40 PM

Further to my concern re vaccine being used for none priority people if you e mail me I can actually provide evidence and names. I can confirm all 4 people were not care/ nhs staff . Age range 20+ x 2 and 75 x 2 . I have heard of others too so please don’t dismiss my comments , investigate and respond

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 2:37:59 PM
    Hi Pat. We're not dismissing your comments - we're trying to provide answers to the questions you have raised. It's not appropriate for us to discuss the care of individual patients here on this public page - but you can contact our Comments & Complaints Team if you want to discuss specific issues with someone further.

• By alan williams on 1/15/2021 1:42:44 PM

registered nurse desperate to protect my clients and myself via the vaccine. told my surgery in writing , response SILENCE

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 2:28:25 PM
    Hi Alan, Patients are being asked not to contact their GP practice with enquiries about the vaccine at this time, but instead to wait to be invited. This is because they are unable to respond to everyone individually. However, we would reassure you that vaccinations for residents & staff in care homes across the city are well underway, and if you haven't heard anything yet, you will do soon.

• By BB on 1/15/2021 1:14:48 PM

My Mum is 93 and has not been vaccinated, yet people of 80 in her road and nearby, including patients at the same GP surgery have been vaccinated. I think we all know that those over 80 are the priority group, but how are those within that group being prioritised? Is it youngest first, or alphabetically, or based on medical vulnerability? To an observer, it would appear that the over 80s are being called in a random manner, and this does not fill us with confidence. Can you enlighten us as to the process, please? A vague “ you will be called when it is your turn” is not good enough. My Mum is keen to be vaccinated. After all, it symbolises the beginning of a return to normal life.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 2:54:56 PM
    Vaccines are being delivered to over all 80s on patient lists area by area - rather than splitting these by age priority or anything similar. It was simply not possible to organise patients in this way, and is not what the national guidelines suggest. We understand that patients are very keen to get the vaccine and we are working through those over 80s as fast as we can.

• By Pat Perkins on 1/15/2021 1:07:54 PM

Whilst I appreciate unused vaccine may have to be used quickly to avoid waste I am concerned you do not appear to have a reserve priority list of people willing to attend at short notice. Surely each practice can submit priority patients willing to be contacted last minute. It is unprofessional and unfair that the management of this process appears to be staff contacting friends and family of any age to come on down to get vaccine. I know of several people who have taken the opportunity. Also how can you justify Childwall hub inviting 75year olds for vaccination when the biggest network of practices SWAGGER are struggling to get vaccine supplies commensurate with the large volume of elderly and extremely clinically vulnerable patients. As a retired NHS manager I am frustrated by the lack of strategy and operational management. Appreciate this is a logistical nightmare but please consider reviewing processes.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 2:07:46 PM
    Hi Pat, Thanks for your comments, but that isn't what is happening. Practices are only vaccinating over 80s currently, except in very rare instances when vaccine is left over at the end of the day (perhaps because someone failed to attend), in which case they may then be provided to frontline health staff (who are also a current priority group), or to another slightly younger patient if a replacement over 80 isn't available - but this is always a last case scenario, and only to avoid any vaccine wastage.

• By alan williams on 1/15/2021 12:59:29 PM

i find it stunningly bad as a registered nurse myself working in a care home and wanting to protect my clients and myself that i have not been offered the vaccine to date .I have spelt out in written form the above mentioned to my surgery practice manager with nil response to date. It is stunning beyond belief that ever time I step out of my home I am dicing with potential death in order to care for others

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/15/2021 1:15:53 PM
    Hi Alan, Primary Care teams are currently working their way around all of Liverpool's care homes to vaccinate residents and staff. They are working really hard to get around everyone as quickly as possible, so please bare with us - we will get to everyone soon.

• By arthur dodd on 1/13/2021 11:36:23 AM

due to royal mail difficulties etc, and letters for corvid vaccinations are delayed for many days,. could this lead to people being overlooked or assumed to have not turned up.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/13/2021 2:07:49 PM
    Hi Arthur, Most patients are being contacted by phone/texting currently (where we have those contacts for them) in the interests of speed. But however contact is made, practices will be following up every patient who doesn't respond, so one will be left out.

• By G Gale on 1/12/2021 8:21:55 PM

Thanks for responding to my query , however you haven’t answered my question . Could I please have some indication of the timetable of your planned roll out order especially for my parents practice . My father is shielding he is 84 my mother is 82 . Appreciate it’s hard trying to facilitate this but tbh I’m surprised given their age snd they are shielding that they have heard nothing .

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/13/2021 9:25:44 AM
    It's hard to give exact timescales because it's very dependent on the availability of vaccine supplies, which we have no control over. But with our final vaccine sites getting up and running this week, we expect to be able to get through the remaining over 80s across the city within the next two or three weeks.

• By Carole McKenna on 1/12/2021 9:41:37 AM

Please check what is happening at Valley medical centre. My mother is 91 has heard nothing. She is not a patient at that surgery but has been told by her own surgery that Valley is where she will be vaccinated and surprisingly itwas suggested that Valley may be prioritising their own patients first. Surely that cant be fair and may not be right but we are fearing that Valley are not aware they are supposed to be vaccinating patients at Childwall Fiveways as well as their own. Please confirm you have checked and tell us who to contact if we think someone has been forgotten. There was a mix up with communications over her flu jab last year so it wouldn't surprise us.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/12/2021 10:08:08 AM
    Hi Carole, thanks for your message. All of our sites are continuing to work through their lists of patients over 80s this week. It is simply not possible to start vaccinating all patients at exactly the same time across all practices/areas of the city, so please bear with us as we work through the roll out – GPs and practice teams are working really hard to get to everyone as soon as they can.

• By G Gale on 1/10/2021 7:32:22 PM

Could you please publish your roll out plan across Liverpool . My parents are both in their 80s registered with a Fulwood Green practice in South Liverpool . Some indication of where this practice is in the roll out phase would alleviate some of their and mine anxiety Thank you

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/11/2021 12:11:34 PM
    The order in which people will be offered the vaccine is based on advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). At the moment, in line with this national guidance, local centres are just focussing on people aged over 80, care home patients & staff, and health workers. But it will be offered to other people at risk as soon as is possible. All of our PCN vaccination sites are due to be up and running across the city by the end of this week, which means that all over 80s in the city who haven't yet been seen, will be contacted shortly. We then anticipate being able to move to other high risk groups in the next two to four weeks, depending on vaccine availability.

• By Linda on 1/10/2021 4:18:15 PM

My partner is type 1 diabetic and has been told hes got to wait 6 months for his vaccine

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/12/2021 11:17:13 AM
    Hi Linda, It's impossible to confirm exact timescales in which any future cohort of patients will receive the vaccine just yet, because it's dependent on the availability of supplies. But please be assured that everyone is working very hard to get through patients as quickly as possible.

• By Joy on 1/8/2021 10:09:14 PM

I have been invited for vaccine next week (via text but it not does not appear to be a scam and the link let me book without asking for any details except date of birth) my question is I am only priority 6, why have i been asked so soon and should i still go? I don't want to take a more vulnerable person or care workers place.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/11/2021 1:15:12 PM
    Hi Joy, Yes the booking system does allow for sites to send out text invites to patients with mobile numbers registered to their practice now too.

• By Linda Loy on 1/8/2021 11:31:16 AM

People are worried and concerned about how and when they will be contacted with their invitation to attend for vaccine. Would be possible for GP surgeries provide (on their websites for e.g.) how they will be getting in touch. The lack of information about the rollout is adding to the anxiety people are feeling. Especially when we are hearing or know of individuals have received the vaccination but are not within the priority groups.

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/8/2021 2:01:45 PM
    Hi Linda, That's completely understandable. People will get either a phone call or letter from their practice to arrange their appointment. We are regularly posting updates here, and sharing them with GP practices so that they can share the info on their websites too. It's a good idea to keep checking these spaces regularly for new updates if you are concerned.

• By B percy on 1/7/2021 4:42:30 PM

Thanks for the information this is very helpful

By NHS Liverpool CCG (Administrator) on 1/7/2021 5:12:44 PM
    Glad you found it useful!

Your comments

Comments are moderated in line with our social media code of conduct before they are published. Please be aware that, if published, your comments will appear on this page.